Greetings IGO, and welcome to the new website.
There’s not much to see here yet, but my intent is to add some old, and maybe new, features to the site in the coming weeks and months. I’d like your help to expand the list (below) and determine what to tackle as priorities.
My goal, one that I believe is shared by the BOD and members in general, is to return the IGO website to its roots with a site that focuses on the geocachers (the people) that are the IGO, and the organization itself, with less focus on the geocaches. I’d also like to make the site mobile-friendly so that it can be helpful and easy to use in-the-field. With that in mind, here’s MY prioritized "To Do" list, please send an email to email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org, and share your thoughts.
1) Encourage IGO members to visit the site at https://iowageocachers.org, and use the links there to set new passwords (I hope that works!). The new site uses stronger encryption than the old site so your old passwords may still work, but need to be reset first! I believe ALL of the old member accounts have migrated successfully, but need folks to confirm. Some of the old data was NOT moved; things like user stats, “Favorite” geocaches, and COTM statistics. That data isn’t “gone”, it’s just not available yet, and some might not ever return. While you are there please check out https://iowageocachers.org/blog for a little background information regarding the website changes.
2) Add IGO's “MailChimp” service to the site so that it can dispatch notifications and mass e-mails on my behalf, and on behalf of the BOD and its officers if/when needed. Update: Sorry, MailChimp will NOT work well with this website unless we want to pay for an expensive subscription plan.
3) Link the site to IGO’s Facebook page, and Twitter if available. Are there other sites/services we should consider linking to?
4) Provide the BOD with permissions to post new content on the front page and/or blogs.
5) Build out the Phone-A-Friend (PAF) feature. The idea here is that if you have an IGO website account, AND provide a PAF phone number, you should have the ability to see all other PAF contacts. Stretch goal: If you open the PAF list, or map (that’s a double stretch), you see a list of contacts sorted by distance from your current location (assuming you have location services turned on in your device) with the nearest “friend” at the top of the list. Click on their phone number to “call for help”, maybe with an option to send a text message if the “friend" has enabled that feature.
6) Create and implement a poll. This will probably be something silly, unless someone can suggest a real question and choices they’d like to see. The idea is to prove that we can safely conduct a user poll because we’ll need that come August, maybe sooner, when the next BOD election rolls around.
That’s MY initial list. Please write to email@example.com to let me know what you think and what you suggest. Take care.
- SummittDweller (and Iowa.Landmark)